Saturday, September 02, 2006

Chelsea goes to India

So yes I live in Mozambique, and I traveled to India to meet three of my most favorite people in the world, you know who you are

The trip started at 4am July 12th, where I waited on the side of the road for a bus to drive me to mapped (approximately a 24 hour bus ride). Well 100km in the bus had broken down 3 times so with a plan to catch in Joburg in 4 days I decided to take matters into my own hands. Hence commenced a 4 day hitch hike of over 1,000 miles. I fell into the good grace of meeting to middle aged, rich, south Africans who took me into their care. I was able to overlook there not so suddle racists comments, due to their extreme kindness, paying for my accommodations and food at one on of the necessities beaches, Tofo, in MOzambique. They brought me across the boarder to Nelspritz, the next day I took a bus to joburg to get my Visa.

well, easy you think, go in get the visa. Not quite. I arrived a t 1230, and the stop processing visa applications at 12. No amount of sweet talking could persuade them. With my plane leaving the following day, limited funds, and being alone in joburg, I knew I was a bad situation. The following day I went to see if I could get on the plane without a visa, ehm, apparently even for Chelsea Keyser, that is not allowed. (That is even with crying). So I changed my plane ticket to give me 4 more days in Joburg to get the visa, and tacked one 7 more days in India.

I camped out in the airport book store scouting out cheap hostels near the Indian embassy then . A chance, or good fortune would have it I ran into a man who ran a Buddhist center in joburg. He offered me accommodates for free, I eagerly took him up on the offer. But here's the icing on the cake, and one of the residents was the son of the Indian ambassador. So after a relaxing weekend at the Buddhist center, which included shopping, entered (and nearly had a panic attack) my first mall in 11 months, gourmet dinners, and meditation. The following Monday I drove to the embassy walked directly into the ambassadors office, accompanied by his son, had tea and got my visa.

The following morning I was on my way, 4 days later then expected but no worries.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home